Caution: These folders are important system folders, so please only play with them if you are sure you know what you are doing.
When backing up, as well as your typical user create files in Pictures, Documents, Music, Desktop etc, it’s also a good idea to backup some other places (AppData and ProgramData folders). By default Windows hides these folders and it’s necessary to enable viewing it before you can view and back them up. To show these folders:
- Open Windows Explorer (open any folder on the computer)
- On the menu bar at the top find the View tab and then click Options; or if you have no View tab click on the Organize button on the top left and then Folder and Search Options.
- In the box that pops up click on the View tab and then in the list box find the Hidden files and folders section and select the option to ‘Show hidden files, folders and drives’ and click OK.
Now it will be possible to view and backup the AppData and ProgramData folders. their locations are:
- AppData – Can be found in your user area.
- ProgramData – Can be found in the system drive (usually C: drive).
To backup both of these folders, simply right-click on each and select copy, and then in your backup location, right-click > paste.